The Artic Fox
Impending Doom

"The assignment to hold out at the field hospital should be easy," I thought as I laid down my M60 Para on the trenches.
My trench-mate, Julian, handed me a water canteen and a field med-kit while reading the after action reports he recieved from the Commander. The past few days the Reds have sieged the main base located just north of the rural town the hospital was in. According to the commander, although the Reds have inflicted heavy casualties the fight was still at a stand off.

This news worried me because if the base fell, all that stands in the way between the civilians of Kuching (a city-capital of Borneo) and the Reds will just be a few dozen injured infantry in trenches. Abandoning civilians to the Reds was NOT an option according to the commander.

Suddenly a messenger from the radio hut came screaming for me...

"Sir, rocketeer squad 9 have reported up to 14 Soviet tanks designation Rhino and 3 other Soviet vehicles designation Flak Track are approaching the city. The squad leader estimates the arrival of Soviet force to the city to be within an hour or two."

"Radio HQ and ask for reinforcements if they can provide it. Report of our condition and advise them that the enemy will try to flank the base"

"Yes, sir," with that he left although still shaken by the news of the tanks.

With only an hour to prepare, the company of GI's under my command got to work. We began planting anti-tank land mines, restock or rearm ourselves and brace for the arrival of the tanks. Trenches were deepened and camouflaged with the tropical foliage which was abundant.We could not fall back to the base as the fall of the city meant the fall of the entire island of Borneo.

Suddenly, a building, probably a bank, exploded behind the trench that I was in. The tanks were rolling down the hill and already started targeting us. I checked my GPS and realised that the Reds were just sitting at the outskirts of the city and are contented to pound away at the city from long range.

Debris began raining down on the trenches but so far no casualties were reported. I thank God that the hospital was at the other end of the city and will take the Soviets a longer time to reach there. With the destruction of the building, the Soviets approached our position. With no apparent warning one of the tanks, a Rhino hit one of our land mines. The Soviets were in our mine-field! We came out of our camouflaged encampments with weapons firing.

RPGs and M60's fired at the tanks but to no apparent effect.The tanks leveled their 120mm cannons at us and started blowing my company away. I gave the order to fall back to the empty buildings behind us. Our only hope to make sure the city did not fall was to garrison the few remaining buildings that were left.

As if reading my mind, the Soviet tanks resumed their artillery barrage on the buildings. Impending doom for the city was in sight. As I began to order my company to face the Soviets head on in an effort for the civillians to escape. A sonic boom was both heard and felt as a squadron of Harriers rained destruction on the 9 Soviet tanks that were left. Left burning and or in some cases disabled temporary, the tank force of 5 vehicles began to retreat and regroup to the outskirts of the city.

A bright light shone on the horizon quickly enveloped the remaining tanks and incinerated them.With a quick look at my GPS, it showed a group of 10 Allied PRM-12 tanks (Prism Tanks) intercepted the Soviet tank force. Within a few minutes, the Soviet tanks were no more.

Perhaps there was still hope for this God-forsaken place after all...