Updated Quick Match Client.
|| Chrono IFV no longer loses its target when selecting a
target further than his firing range. Now it moves within
attack range and fires without losing focus at any moment.
|| Modified official maps are not transferred
over Internet games.
||If a player disconnects 3 times in one game for durations
more than 25 seconds each, the game will finish and be
awarded to the non-disconnector at the 3rd time.
|| If walls or other buildings block the Soviet Barracks
exit, no unit is built even if the user has a Cloning Vat.
The cost is refunded to the player.
|| No other infantry units other than those with explosives
can blow up buildings when joining to a Tanya command
WESTWOOD ONLINE CHANGES OR FEATURE
|| NAT (Network Address Translation) and Firewall
(Notice: See Firewall & NAT Support later on this
|| In 4 player Internet games, Red Alert 2TM now behaves
correctly and continues the match with the remaining players
when the host loses connection.
|| The game now behaves correctly by continuing 4 player
Internet games when the host gets disconnected from his ISP
but is able to reconnect in time.
||In-game chat, whenever the user types a message longer
than a screen width the text is transmitted and displayed
FIREWALL AND NAT SUPPORT
Red Alert 2TM now automatically supports firewalls and network
address translating (NAT) while playing on Westwood Online.
Note: in this document the term "firewall" is used to refer
to both firewall and "network address translation" products.
The following hardware/software was used in testing:
||Linksys BEFSR11 / BEFSR14
||Netgear RT311 / RT314
||DLink DI-701 / DI-702
||SonicWall Tele / Soho2
||Windows 98 ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
||Sygate Home Networking 4.0
||NAT32 Plus 1.4 (build 1-16-01)
Even if your firewall was not listed, it is likely that it will
work with this patch. Many firewalls have the same behavior.
Automatic Firewall/NAT support
Red Alert 2 now automatically supports the above firewalls out
of the box, with no need to configure esoteric settings on the
firewalls, such as port forwarding, triggers, static mapping or
any of the other complicated settings that might otherwise be
Support is complete and transparent, including the following
||Supports hosting or joining any game when
behind a firewall.
|| Supports multiple players behind the same
firewall; if you have more than one system on a home LAN
sharing a cable modem, DSL or other connection you can now
play against each other or against other players on the
Now when a game is launched on Westwood Online, you will see a
"Connecting To Other Players" dialogue box. Here you will be
able to see your connectivity to the other players in the game.
If any player cannot establish a connection with another, the
game will not launch. A message will appear explaining who is
having difficulty connecting.
It is necessary on some firewalls to wait for packets to be
received from other players before trying to connect. If your
firewall has this behavior, you will need to enable "Send Delay"
in the network options. From the main menu, select "Options"
then "Network". Using this setting may cause connection problems
with other players if used unnecessarily. Please refer to your
firewall documentation to see how your firewall operates.
(note: Netgear firewalls model numbers RT311 & RT314 were found
to require this setting during our testing)
Manual Firewall/NAT support
In addition to the automatic firewall support features listed
above, we have included an advanced setting for advanced users
that can be used if all else fails. From the main menu, select
"Options" then "Network". Under the "Internet Firewall Settings"
section you'll see a "port number" option, which can be used to
instruct Red Alert 2TMto always use the port specified here. You
should use a port number between 1024 and 65535. Every computer
that you want to play the game on should be given a different
port number if they are all behind the same firewall.
To return to the automatic mode, remove the port number from
the "port number" edit box.
If you specify a port for Red Alert 2TM to use then you will
have to manually configure your firewall with static IP and port
forwarding to route packets to the correct computer. Each
firewalls configuration method is different so consult your
firewalls documentation for instructions on how to do this. You
will probably have to assign a static IP to each computer
connecting to the firewall otherwise the static forwarding rules
may not work after restarting a computer or firewall.
Dual Network Cards in Windows 98
A Windows 98 client can only have one gateway at a time. This
means that if you are running Red Alert 2 in a Windows 98
machine that has 2 or more network cards you will need to get
sure that the traffic is going through the right one. The best
way to do this is disabling all network cards except the one who
gives you the connectivity to the Internet/LAN. Otherwise you
can have connectivity problems when running Red Alert 2.
FINALALERT 2 SUPORT AND TIPS
FinalAlert 2 beta is a mission editor for Red Alert 2. It can
be downloaded from
free of charge. Westwood Studios and the original FinalAlert
developer have been hard at work adding and improving
functionality. Here are some of the items we've been working on.
|| Framework mode is now included.
|| Allows raising and lowering of tile placement
|| Randomizes land tiles within the editor to improve open
area aesthetics in the map.
|| Fixes bugs for raising/lowering terrain. FinalAlert 2™
used to create map holes that are very difficult to detect
and fix. Framework mode helps with this a great deal also.
|| Includes an indication of current terrain height.
|| Includes an indication of current ore/gem count on map.
|| Includes Uninstall.
|| Increased time allowed on Westwood Online to transfer
maps between players. Now up to 3 minutes.
|| Only allows FinalAlert 2 ™ map sharing in non-tourney
|| Allows sharing of map names.
|| Includes random tree placement tool.
|| Optimizes the FinalAlert 2 ™ map load times, especially
when there are lots of custom maps in the game folder.
||Red Alert 2 will not add starting spots to a FinalAlert 2
™ map if it has 2 or more predefined starting spots.
|| Red Alert 2 now can now use maps created with FinalAlert
2 ™ in all game modes.
|| Allows map names to appear when using FinalAlert 2 ™
(User created) maps.
Please note: When a custom made map is transferred to a guest
player, it will not become available in the map listing until
Red Alert 2TM is restarted. Therefore, if more than one game is
going to be set on a custom map, it is recommended that the
guest(s) quit the game after the first match (once the map has
been transferred). Otherwise the map will be transferred every
time a new game is started.
GENERAL CHANGES OR FEATURE ADDITIONS
1. RA2 now allows you to play "Free for All" in Skirmish mode. Now
the AI can attack each other and not just the player.
2. Hotkeys and Interface changes added:
||Right clicking on the mouse centers on the Radar Screen instead of
deselecting the player's units.
||Press the "Spacebar" to cycle through last 8 EVA events. "Space
Bar" now also goes to "Ally under Attack" EVA event.
||Players can now place Rally Points on Service Depots.
||The "Q" & "W" keys that select Tab Buttons now grab a completed
building for the cursor. Pressing again places that building.
||Press "Ctrl" + "Arrow" keys to jump to the edges of the map.
||Page User is bound to "U".
||Health Navigation, Veterancy Navigation, and Previous Unit hotkeys
are now unbound. They can be rebound in the Keyboard Configuration
3. Observer Mode: RA2 now has an Observer Mode that allows 1
player to watch other player's games. Particularly useful for Korean
television shows and tournaments.
||There is a new checkbox at the top of the bunkers that players can
check to observe games. Clicking it will switch the "Join" button to
"Observe" and vice versa.
||In the game setup screen, the host can select the bottom slot to be
open for observers (assuming he isn't the observer himself). Players
attempting to observe go into this slot.
||The observer can only chat to all players.
||The observer cannot use Beacons or Waypoint Mode.
||The observer is not shown on the score screen.
||The observer is not allowed in Co-Op mode.
4. Dreadnaughts can now break bridges with missiles.
5. Now players can destroy a unit flying over an Iron Curtained
6. If the player has a Cloning Vat, an Engineer, 2 infantry units,
and a Tech Hospital he will no longer get a complimentary unit out
of his Cloning Vat for every unit healed.
7. The edges of the Radar Screen are now visible.
8. We've enabled the Microsoft Sidewinder Strategic Commander(TM)
to work properly. We've also included the Westwood endorsed
9. The Desolator will no longer continue to shoot the ground over
and over and keep building up radiation.
10. Parts of buildings will no longer disappear on occasion.
11. Structures no longer flash a frame of animation during
12. Fixed the "Place Structure Anywhere" cheat.
13. Super Weapon tab flashes when ready.
14. Crazy Ivan and Tanya bombs now work on all bridges.
15. Fixed a Terror Drone + Unpacking MCV problem that made games
WESTWOOD ONLINE CHANGES OR FEATURE ADDITIONS
1. Quick Match now gives ping of opponent when matching.
2. Zero starting units are allowed.
3. Fixed up the taunts to make sure they play correctly.
4. Paging additions:
||Players can page a buddy from inside a game room, bunkers or game.
(/page user name message)
Example: /page Yuri Hi.
||Players can reply to last message.
Example: /r Hi there.
||Players can check to see if another player is online.
(/on user name)
Example: /on Tanya
||If player is paged and he presses "U" to reply to that sender, the
paging screen will default to that sender's name if U is pressed
within 5 seconds.
5. A ping meter is included inside game lobby as a tooltip. There
are also graphic indicators (green, red, yellow) next to player
names. The ping indicated in the tooltip is between that player and
the game host.
6. Lobby Chat only scrolls if player is on bottom chat line.
7. Included an icon table that displays most icons and what they
mean in Westwood Online.
8. Fixed "Fetching Server" message pop up problem. Now it happens
9. Fixed the loss of keystrokes when typing chat in bunker.
10. Lobby now defaults to the bunker the player left when
returning from Buddy List, etc.
11. Click on an existing game to show the name of map in bunker as
tooltip. No need to enter a game to find out which map is being
12. Chat messages during games no longer display in a choppy and
slow manner. Messages written at the end of games will now display
13. Players are now routed to bunkers with less than 25 people
when entering Custom Match.
14. A tooltip has been added that shows a player's rank,
battleclan and battleclan rank when you mouse-over a player's name.
It may take a bit for the server to return the player's rank.
UNIT BALANCE CHANGES
1. Unit Balance: IFV + Chrono Legionaire now destroys things more
2. Unit Balance: Tesla Tank will shoot a little slower.
3. Unit Balance: Demo Truck speed reduced.
4. Unit Balance: Demo Truck damage was reduced.
5. Unit Balance: IFV+Tesla Trooper will shoot a little slower.
6. Unit Balance: IFV+Terrorist damage reduced.
7. Unit Balance: Terrorist hit points are increased.
For those of you who experienced connectivity problems with 3
and/or 4 player Red Alert 2 games over Westwood Online, we have made
some changes that should improve quality of your experience.
1. We fixed the "Place Structure Anywhere" Paratroopers issue.
2. We fixed an issue with the ConYard. When it was destroyed and you
got a new ConYard, your build options did not refresh unless you
clicked on the Build Tab to force the refresh.
3. You can now press the # key assigned to a created team a second
time and it will center the screen around that team. For example,
press 1 to select team 1. Pressing 1 a second time will center the
screen on that team.
4. Occupying Tech Buildings will now uncover the Shroud at that
5. If all of your buildings are destroyed, but you have an
undeployed conyard (MCV), and are playing in "Short Game", the game
will no longer end.
SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN ISSUES
1. We modified Auto Save to save EACH mission, rather than saving
over the same file every time. The net result is that you will now
have several auto-saves (one for each mission.)
2. The game timer during the Single Player Campaign will now pause
while you are in the Menu or Pause Screens.
MULTIPLAYER GAME ISSUES
1. You now have the option of turning off Asian and/or Non-Asian
2. We fixed the Ping Indicators in the Westwood Online lobbies.
3. We moved the Clan Abbreviations in the Custom Match player
Lobby a bit to the left so ranks of 100+ would not get abbreviated.
4. We changed the names of the bunkers in Westwood Online to
reflect the gamer's country of origin. This may help separate the
various languages in the lobbies.
1. Fix to unlock the buttons when changing lobbies in Westwood